Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Well I can check that off my list

Semester? Done!

Indeed, things wrapped up nicely yesterday as I took my last final.  I have no idea what my grades are going to be; I can't even fathom.  I'm hoping they're decently high, as I have lots of plans for what I want to do after I get my bachelor's =3

So, I haven't been around much.  For that I apologize.  I owe lots of people emails and whatnot that I've been neglecting.  I know, previously I said I would write more often, but as it turned out, that became virtually impossible as time went on, with lots of homework, and studying, and all sorts of not-so-fun-stuff. But!  In the end, I think it was worth it.  Things are looking good.

Next term starts in about two weeks, and I'm looking forward to it.  There will be some really interesting classes that I'm definitely excited about =)

The first snow fell a few weeks ago, and it's been really cold lately.  Nightly temperatures are in the double-digit negative range, which means my car has trouble starting in the morning.  I got winter tires few days after the first heavy snowfall, but I haven't gotten a block heater yet (mainly because I haven't been able to afford it).  I think it's close to $240 to get it installed, so I've been putting it off.  So far, my car's been able to start every time, despite the cold, so it's possible I may be able to get away with not having it this winter. I don't know what cold oil does to the engine, though, so it may be that I should get one anyway, or I'll be ruining my car.

I don't spend much time outside, thankfully, because it's really very cold, but if the wind isn't blowing, it's actually bearable.  Our finals were held in a building way way far away from where the normal cluster of buildings are, so I ended up walking quite a ways to get there.  There's something of a wind tunnel on campus between some buildings, and it just so happened that I had to pass through that tunnel, so it wasn't fun, I'll tell you.

Things with Kyle have been uneventful.  His program is a lot more difficult than mine (plus it's not his first year), so most of his time is spent doing labs, studying, and reading.  I had a lot of homework, too, but it's more tedious and time-consuming than it is difficult.  I'm sure things will become more challenging as time goes on (if my econ test is an accurate predictor, it will), but so far it's been steady.  I picked up some work from a friend of mine at home (computery stuff) that I finished up a couple of weeks ago.  Proceeds from said project will help pay down my debt, and I've been told another project may be up-coming.  So for this, I am happy.  I've not been able to find a job on-campus (most all work is OWSP, which is part of the work-study program, and international students cannot participate in that; the few jobs that aren't OWSP aren't hiring at the moment), so I'm glad I got some work in the meantime.  I can finally get a job in-town around March of next year, so this should hold me off until then.

Other than that, daily life just sort of is at the moment.  Many days it feels like I'm waiting for something to happen, but I realize that there isn't anything.  This is my life at the moment.  I think I'm having trouble settling into that thought, and so I'm a bit wound up because of it sometimes (i.e., I feel like I'm neglecting some responsibility that I don't actually have).  I don't know why I'm having such difficulty adjusting to life up here, but I think it's gotten better over time.  I'm sure I'll get used to it the more time goes by.  I miss a lot of my friends from back home, but I've made a lot of good ones here, too.  I've been to a few parties, and had some decent fun, so the good times are only beginning.

Over break, I plan to not do much of anything.  Just relax, play games, and eat good holiday food.  I think I can get on-board with that.  Come January, if all goes well, I'll have a pretty tight schedule that I'll need to balance.  It will be fun, and difficult, but worthwhile.  I can feel it.

Happy holidays to all of you out there =)  I don't know when I'll write again.  Only when I have something substantive to say (ha ha, that never happens =P), which I hope happens sooner rather than later.  You've all been great <33

-skybluekid

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, the sweet smell of success! Good work, Skyblue, I'm sure your grades will reflect well on the time you put in.

    Guess you answered one question, you're staying up there for Christmas. Only 2 weeks off, huh? Down here I guess you know, most colleges get out mid-December and don't start up again until mid-January. I'll bet your parents will be pining for you, and hopefully, a bit vice-versa! The adjustment is a HUGE one! You're not a couple of hours away so that you can pop home every other weekend when there isn't a huge party or a major assignment due. But like you say, you are getting there. It does take some time. But you've survived 4+ months pretty well, or I suspect there would have been more posts asking what the heck to do about it!!

    Cold oil: not too much of a problem, as long as the oil pump gets it up to pressure. Don't drive off until the oil pressure is near normal. The usual problem is the battery. You can cheat and get some heat tape for pipes at the hardware store and wrap it around the battery to keep it warm. For that matter, you should be able to find an oil dipstick heater that will help with the oil, too. We used to use that for a diesel truck at work. Ask Kyle, he bloody lives there!

    It's great that life just "is", ya know? And you can write about it, when you're sitting there cogitating over nothing; believe me, even the mundane can be interesting, and enjoyable to read!

    I see you are getting a little caught up with the email, thanks! Keep in touch! I saw you on MSN, but I'm not sure the chat client on my stupidphone works right, so you may not have seen me...

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You know I love you for it =D