Sunday, October 10, 2010

Chuffed is a funny word

This week's been pretty spiffy.  I was walking outside of the cafeteria one day when I passed by a voting booth.  Turns out there was a student government election and I had no idea.  I opted not to vote, since I didn't know a single person on the ballot and it would feel wrong to just vote for random people, but I did end up talking for over an hour with the two student government chaps running the booth.

For the first time in a long while I've had a stimulating intellectual conversation.  Not to say that Kyle doesn't make good conversation, but he avoids subjects like religion and politics because it makes him decidedly angry.  Most of the time it does me, too, but every now and then I meet someone who, while possibly having some opposing viewpoints, he/she can make civil conversation and debate.  So yes, I was quite chuffed -- as the British would say -- to have such a great discussion with some pretty awesome people.

After they were done at the voting booth, we went back to the student government offices where I gave them my contact info and mentioned I wanted to volunteer.  I didn't get to spend too much time there since they were having a meeting, but I definitely want to get involved in there somehow.  I also stopped by the student newspaper office on my way out and got their schedule.  Who knows, I may write an article or two, and get published!  That would be so awesome =3

I have a test on Wednesday for my accounting class.  I'm not nervous at all.  I'm really good at the accounting work we've done so far, and I'm confident I'll do well on the test.  I just have to remember to buy a non-graphing calculator for the exam, since my TI-89 is not allowed (apparently people tend to cheat when you can program things into your calculator).  Other classes are having tests the next few weeks, too, so I have to get into gear and study for the ones that are coming up.  Math is a big one that's coming up in just a couple of weeks, and I'm not very confident in that.  We'll see how it goes.  Plenty of time, still, to work on getting better at it.  xD

I'm starting a project I'm quite excited about.  I managed to rope in a few of my friends from back home into it, and I'm gonna see if I can find some people at school who are willing to help me as well.  I won't say more about it until I have something a bit more to show for it, but I will say that it involves what I talked about in my intro post -- helping gay youth orient themselves in this crazy, crazy world -- especially now, with all the hardships we're facing.  I will definitely give more info about it in a few weeks, I promise!

No job prospects yet, sadly.  I've been encouraged by several people to do follow-ups on my applications, so I am going to do that sometime next week.  I'll just walk into the offices and speak with the managers there, and at least try to get some feedback on things.  I mean, the worst thing they can say is, "no, we're not interested," which would be ideal because at least I'd know concretely what my situation is.

Other than that, and the odd interesting moment, things are pretty normal here in Skybluekid-land.  Interesting things on the horizon though, so I'm sure I'll have much to talk about in the next few weeks.

Love you all!! <33

-skybluekid

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you out and about and getting involved. It'll keep you out of trouble! I'm glad someone can handle the accounting stuff - I can't balance a checkbook. But I love math.

    Following up on the job apps is a necessary evil. One assumes you can legally work up there, since the assumption is that you are there on whatever Canada's equivalent is to a student visa. Good luck in any case! Money in the pocket is a good thing.

    I suspect you'll get a lot of offers for help with your project. I'm well chuffed at the idea. HAHAHA

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You know I love you for it =D