Saturday, October 16, 2010

Winter

It's getting colder.  I'm told it will start snowing soon.  I don't know how I feel about that, to be honest.

In Los Angeles, the winters are much like the summers: cool and breezy.  And dry.  It's true that the sun doesn't shine quite as warm, and the morning light gives off a slightly-bluer hue, but overall, not much changes.  Here, though, the leaves are turning a crunchy amber, and the geese are making their way to warmer climates.  Soon, the snowfall will claim the last of the grassy fields and throw the land into a cool stasis.

Maybe that's just the type of solace I need.  A sort of break from the world; the hum of activity.  In Los Angeles, the city never sleeps, and even in the dead of night you can almost hear the molecules of air buzzing from the heat the desert sun left just the day before.

This week was good.  I knocked out two of my tests in short order, leaving only my math and economics exam.  Math will be interesting.  I am aware of, partly, how to do most of the tasks that will be on the test; however, my confidence in my math abilities is strained from years of failing at basic maths (I never did well in algebra, geometry, algebra 2, or precalc, all of which I took in high school).  I think my average grade was barely a C, and I had to repeat several of the subjects in the proceeding summers.

Either way, I'll find out just how well I'll do come Tuesday.  My math exam will be at bright and early 8am.  I can hardly wait >.<

I picked up a project with a friend of mine back home (more computery stuff; mainly programming).  It's short, easy, but will pay nicely.  I can probably crank it out in a mere 8 hours, so it's definitely weekend work for sure.  And I think I'll enjoy doing it.  My friend works for an IT company and does a lot of this kind of coding, but he doesn't have time to give things a nice polish.  I, fortunately, do have time, so I shall polish things, and get paid =)

I have a meeting with the school's IT department manager this coming Monday.  I went into the office on Wednesday to see if I can talk to someone, and it turns out I've been courting the wrong department this whole time.  See, the IT department is actually two departments: one handles network infrastructure, VoIP, and telecommunications, and the other handles servers and workstations.  I want to work for the latter, but I've been talking to people from the former, and that's why my resume hasn't been looked at yet.  Makes sense, I suppose, when you think about it, but you really can't tell from just the outside.  It all looks like one unified place.  So yeah, Monday.  Should be interesting.  The manager's getting back from a training session in California, so I think we'll have something to talk about to break the ice =P

Also on Monday, I have a meeting with the school newspaper staff.  I met some nice people when I visited the office earlier this week, and they invited me to attend their little gathering to talk about stories I want to write.  They also need help with their website, but they indicated they were going to staff that out to a paid position through the Ontario Work Study Program, which, as an international student, I don't qualify for.  Oh, well.  It's not that I actually want to work on their website.  It's just that, I saw that as sort of a way to get my foot in the door.  But, if I impress them with my writing skills, maybe I can get my foot in through that door.  We'll see =)

Next week will be interesting for sure, and if things go well, I'll have much to share come the end of the week.

There are a few other things on my mind, but I don't want to clutter up this post with those things, at the moment.  Maybe I'll make another post expounding on those things later.  Either way, I have to run, and grab dinner at the school before the cafeteria closes.

Thanks to all of you who have subscribed, messaged, and emailed.  Looking forward to talking to you guys <33

-skybluekid

2 comments:

  1. Nice post Sky. I envy you. Everything is so new and exciting for you. Many years ago (22 is many right?) I was a missionary for my church and lived in Eastern Canada. The first place I lived was in Kingston, Ontario, right on the lake. I also lived in Riviere-du-Loup, a small town on the south shore of the st. lawrence, in the Ville de Quebec area (Frotenac and Charlesbourg) and on the Island in Montreal (St. Leonard and Verdun). Spent the better part of two winters there.

    In my opinion the change of seasons is great! I'm a California boy too, so I have to admit that the cold, was, well cold. But I loved it. I loved the culture and the distinct difference in the seasons. Kingston was way different, however, from all the other areas I lived in, which were decidedly French.

    Love the blog. Enjoy your voice. Hope you stick with it after the enthusiasm wears off. Either you are really well adjusted or really good at faking it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent week! I love the winter. I think I'd suffer in a hot box like LA! This is my kind of weather, today was about 68 and sunny.

    I'm sure you'll do well on the math exam. You've been studying for it. A paying gig coding, well cool, I know the coffers were a bit low...I can't write decent code to save my @ss so I envy you, even if it isn't your favorite thing to do. A little PHP, and some SQL - that's it. I'm slowly picking up CSS to get into the 21st century, but that's not really programming.

    Good luck with the IT people. And the newspaper. I really enjoyed my time taking pics for the paper at my uni (and totally lucked into the job with a lucky shot in the basement of the oldest building on post when a pipe burst).

    I'm pulling for you! Sounds like things are going very, very well. You've made a great transition to uni, in a new country, waaay away from home! Good for you!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You know I love you for it =D