Monday, September 6, 2010

Labour Day

It was a Monday, and I wanted to get things done, but I couldn't!!  'Cause it's Labour Day (I should start getting used to the Canadian spelling of things, eh?).  I was so ready to go to the school cafeteria office to pay for my meal program, I was just itching to go.

And then it was closed.

But I did end up getting my parking permit from the security office, since that's open 24/7, apparently.  So I guess that's good.  What sucks about the permit though is they sold out of the special permits (which are a bit more expensive but you get to park closer to school) yesterday.  Ack!  When winter hits it's going to be soooo cold and I have to park way the heck out in the boonies.  My skinny California ass will freeze and die in the winters here xD

I'm excited to start eating in the school's cafeteria.  Why?  Because so far every day has been a fast-food fest.  Either that, or like, I skip a meal because I'm poor and can't afford to eat out every day =\

There are two cafeterias at the school: one for the residents where you have 3 meals a day and an ever-changing menu, but you're stuck eating whatever they have on the menu for the day and at specific times.  Or you can go to the regular cafeteria, which really feels like a mall food court.  You walk in and there are like six or seven different places to get food.  You pick up your meal and pay on your way out.  I like variety, since I'm a pretty picky eater, so I'm skipping the general cafeteria nonsense.  Thankfully, you don't need to be a resident to go to the resident cafeteria!  Plus, you get money to spend at the general cafeteria in case you want something different.  Yay!   =D

I'm a bit stressed at not having books yet for my classes.  My boyfriend (I'll name him Kyle for this blog) advised me to go to the first day of class and see if I need the latest edition of the books (the prof will usually say).  If not, I can buy used books for like, 50% of the cost at the bookstore.  Which is good, because the books are stupidly expensive.  We're talking like, there's no book under $100 kind of thing.  Stupid.  Even math supplementary books that are the thickness of my fingernail are like $100.

Letseee... there's not much else to talk about, so I'll quit while I'm still ahead and say g'bye =P

<33

1 comment:

  1. Watch eBay, Craigslist, and the bulletin boards near the departmental offices for your classes to find used books cheap. There's a lot of hungry students out there that won't take the 25-35% of new price the uni bookstore offers (that they sell for 50-60% of new as you've noted), so they sell for 40-45% of new $$$. Also ask about online versions, and downloadable workbooks in PDF format.

    Good luck. I understand about paying for it all - my family had money problems at the end of my sophomore year, so I worked fulltime to pay for 2 years (plus living expenses). But the money always seems to work itself out somehow.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You know I love you for it =D