Sunday, September 12, 2010

Steakhouses are yum!

It's 7am, and I'm just going to bed.  Go me.  >.<

I actually did not intend to stay up this late, but for some reason here I am.

Today (and by "today" I mean yesterday) was great.  Kyle and I went to a fancy steakhouse for our anniversary and had one of the best meals I've had in a long time.  The $100 for the both of us was totally worth it.  I love steak so much!  I had it with the king crab legs and a twice-baked potato.  I would have gone for the steak/lobster combo, but that was nearly $10 more expensive, so I decided not to.  It would've been nice though... I've never had lobster but I hear it's amazing.  Maybe next time xD

With that $100 gone, it was the last of the money I made over my summer job that I quit last month in order to move up here.  I really need to find a job up here, and soon, because if I don't my student loan debt is going to be through the roof.  Even as-is, it's expensive.  I mentioned earlier that my parents are helping me pay for school, but they can't help me with all of it, so I still had to take out loans.  The interest rate is bizarrely high (almost 10% per year), which means I'm going to get owned, and fast, by the amount of money that will start piling up.  So yeah, job.  I can't get one yet (I need permission from the school to work, and I won't get it until six months have elapsed and my grades are good), but as soon as I can I'm going to start working.  At this point I don't care where.  I'm even entertaining the thought of working at Kyle's restaurant, even though I swore to myself a while back I would never take a job with this particular restaurant chain.

After Kyle went to work, I cooked.  It took about two hours to make my mom's really amazing chicken soup (it's really finicky, but tastes divine), but I didn't mind.  I enjoy cooking, as mediocre as I am at it.  I hope I'll get better, and can cook more things than just a handful of recipes I've picked up over the years, because neither Kyle nor his mom can cook very well.  Well, okay, his mom can and does cook, except she has a tendency not to season anything, so most of what she makes tastes bland, but it's filling.  Kyle's used to it, so he's unaware that there are better-tasting things out there.  For me, his mom's cooking and my mom's cooking are at opposite ends of the spectrum.  Eastern Europeans, especially from my parents' country, love their flavorings and spices, so I grew up with rich-tasting food.  Once you experience something like that, especially for the majority of your life, it's hard to get used to anything that doesn't taste similar.  So yeah, gotta bring more spice into the foods that are cooked here.  xD

School's just one day away, and I'm a bit nervous but excited.  It's going to be a major change for me, from what I've experienced, but I can already feel it's going to be a great thing.

Can't wait!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh you are so right on the spices from your parents' part of the world. I'll tell you how I know that sometime...

    It's good the school makes sure you are settled in and getting the work done. I perceive a high intelligence in you, and truly believe that you will do well in school - though I swear you ought to develop better sleeping habits!!! HAHAHA, the beauty of youth - stay up all night - sleep all day!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You know I love you for it =D