Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My muse is midnight

(Two posts today!  Huzzah!)

I'm writing a story.  I've really always been writing something, ever since 8th grade.  Admittedly, my writing used to suck when I was younger, but it's gotten better over the years.  For the past two years or so, I've been creating a world in my spare time: characters, lore, history, trivia, etc., of a futuristic sci-fi universe (set several thousand years into the future), and finally about six months ago, I decided I was going to start writing the first volume of this adventure.  I started an outline that details the first six chapters, and I'm expanding on it as inspiration strikes me.

Inspiration is a funny thing.  It strikes at the most inopportune times, like when I'm waiting in line at the grocery store, or taking a math test.  The thing about it is, you really have to seize the moment and go with it, because if you don't, that inspiration will slip out of your fingers and you'll be left with just the gnawing sense of missed opportunity.  That's sort of how this story is being written.

I've had some great ideas over the years, many of them shelved amongst the mundane life experiences of my day-to-day.  I've written down a few, but nothing solid, so most of my world and my characters live in my head.  Since I've started writing things down, I've realized just how difficult it is to retrieve these spontaneous explosions of creativity which I've never harnessed.  It's actually quite depressing, but instead of dwelling on how silly I was to not write things down, I'm going to chalk this up as a learning experience that tells me I really need to start writing things down.  I feel foolish about the idea to carry around a small notebook and to whip it out and start scrawling whenever a good idea comes to me, despite the fact that at the time I may be ordering a ham sandwich or making a left turn at a particularly busy intersection.

Despite all these unsavory setbacks, I've actually made pretty good progress, and I'm happy with my result so far.  I haven't actually started on the manuscript, but the outline is really making a solid thing I can hook into when I start the prose.  So, I'm really, really excited to get this thing off the launchpad.  It's going to have mystery, intrigue, conspiracy, heroism, and romance (gay romance, at that!).  If you guys are interested in hearing more, I'd love to share.  Just let me know ^^

Oh, and it's called, Galateia.

<33

4 comments:

  1. Ok so I am in the process of writing an album with a friend for lols.

    And I'll be somewhere weird - like driving on the highway when I get a fucking epic idea. Like REALLY GOOD. It'll be for a chorus or something strange like that.

    But I have SOME form of mild ADD or something (I must - there's no other explanation for the way I live my life) because as soon as I think of something else, I'll forget it entirely. And with me, thinking of something else is as easy as seeing a car drive past with people in it. My brain is like 'OH! Push everything out and replace it with thinking about how shiny that man's hair is!'

    So in order to remember these things, I literally have to spend the drive (which, at this particular time was about 45 minutes) singing the same thing over and over and over and over and over til I can get home and record it and send it to Alex and he can be SOOOO proud of me.

    Anyway. Moral - random inspiration is random.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! and I got distracted.
    Your book sounds cool. I would like to read it, so hurry up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Start posting! I love science fiction!

    I hear about inspiration - you're right, it's always at bad times. I can't write down the stuff down when I'm doing 65mph down the interstate. I used to do some public speaking, and I'd hear a great quote, or see something that would fit into the latest piece, but alas, no way to capture it.

    Love the name of the book!
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys!! I'll be sure to post some stuff about it in the future <33

    Paige - You should get one of those voice recorder thingies and hum into that! Or if you have an iPhone it has a voice recorder, lol. I'd use one, too, (for spontaneous story ideas) but I'm too embarrassed to listen to myself recite things.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You know I love you for it =D