Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Steady as she goes

I absolutely adore Sky Sailing.  It's an Owl City project, which is like, my favorite band musical group person everrr.  Probably the best song off the album is "Steady As She Goes" (though "Captains of the Sky" and "I Live Alone" are also amazingly beautiful), and it always reminds me of sort of a journey into the unknown.  Where you pick up your knapsack and set out without having a destination in mind.  It's not a tedious journey, or a particularly dangerous one; just one where you're not sure where you'll end up.  Those sorts of journeys are the best.  They don't let you set the mind onto a specific track; they don't let you estimate what the ending will be like, distracting you from all the sights you'll see on the way there.  It frees you to not worry about the destination, and lets you enjoy the journey.  I think that's the most important in anything: the road there, not the there part.

I think that's how I'm going to approach the next few years.  Sure, I can worry about what I'm going to do when I graduate, and where I'm going to end up next.  I can pass over the next three years just worrying about the destination, missing all the sights, sounds, and freedoms of being a university student truly on my own for the first time.  Or, I can just forget the destination.  It will come regardless... no need to worry my little head over it.  Instead, I can experience the wonders of the journey there.  Stop, and really, truly experience each day.  Laugh along with friends, cherish being up late nights staring into the violet sky, walk the trails on campus and see the geese migrating.  Each day that passes is like a full meal of once-in-a-lifetime experiences.  If you skip over the main course and go straight to dessert, you missed the best part.  Live each day as though you will never be able to come back and have the same experience again.  That's what I'm going to do.

And I'm going to love every day doing it.

<33

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post. Eloquent writing. Very, very powerful. And so very right.

    It sounds as if you've got a trail to follow, even if it branches off now and then. "...and I - I took the one less traveled by..."). A philosopher such as yourself should know the origin.

    I remember the freedom of moving just 350 miles from home at 21. Truly on my own. It's been a journey, and it's still a journey.

    Good luck, young man! Keep the attitude you express in this post, and you'll be fine!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You know I love you for it =D